Buy this book on-line
Anonymous : Original Stereocard Photograph. "The Grand Central Depot, 42d St. And 4th Ave."
E. & H. T. Anthony, New York, New York
circa.1880s. "Public Buildings in New York City and vicinity. No. 8065-6-7". Stereograph on orange board (3 1/2 x 7 inch) with label and description pasted on the back. Image of the front 'Head House' of the first train station built on this site in New York City. This three story structure existed between 1871 and 1899 and covered four acres. It cost 4.5 million dollars when built and served three railway companies at 42d Street and 4th Avenue - New York Central and Hudson River Railroad; New York and Harlem Railroad; and the New York and New Haven Railroad. When built it was the largest train depot in the world. Among its innovations were a central station concept, elevated platforms to the level of the passenger cars, and a train roof as a shed with clear spans over all the tracks. In 1899 the New York Central Railroad demolished the Head House and built a six story structure which existed for fourteen years before the railway built the present Grand Central Station with two levels of train tracks and a grander station to rival Penn Central which was completed in 1910. Fine clean copy.. Book. Book Condition: Collectible-Fine. Binding: No Binding
Click here for full details of this book, to ask a question or to buy it on-line.
Bibliophile Bookbase probably offers multiple copies of Anonymous : Original Stereocard Photograph. "The Grand Central Depot, 42d St. And 4th Ave.". Click here to select from a complete list of available copies of this book.
Bibliophile Bookbase lists over 5 million books, maps and prints including libri rari, atlases, antiquarian books, livres anciens and livres rares.